Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

My former boss threatens to sue me for libel, defamation, and get a court order against me

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Cookie88

Arresto Menor

I recently received a threat (via Viber) from my former boss. I worked for him December 2015 -March 2016, until I had to resign because he didn't pay me.
I wrote about my experience in detail on ripoffreport.
He is an American, and he was in Florida when he hired me for online work. Soon he flew to Ukraine and communicated with me from there. I found him (rather, the job post of his assistant na Ukrainian) via Upwork.

Our agreement was to pay me via Western Union, or Moneygram. 300 USD for the first two months, and 1k USD afterwards.

My first payment was delayed for almost two weeks. My second payment didn't arrive. He gave endless excuses. Until he didn't reply to me for 2 weeks. I begged repeatedly for him to send me my payment, but to no avail.

He sent me a payment last month, 120 USD instead of 800 (1 month pay na 300 + 500 USD instead of 1k kasi i resigned in the middle of March) but after that, he stopped replying to me for 2 weeks. I wrote sa ripoffreport so he won't be able to scam more Pinays like me. He also didn't pay my Filipina co-worker na taga -Baguio so I felt truly compelled to expose his scamming ways. She also wrote a report, a day after I did.

He suddenly messaged me, suggesting he saw the report. I wasn't sure which one he is looking at, though. He said that I violated the NDA that I signed when he hired me. He said he will get a court order against me for lying. He said he will also sue me for more money, because I committed 'slander' (yes, that's the term he used, but I know he meant libel), and defamation.

Is calling him a liar and a scam artist a ground to be sued?Because the way I understand it, defamation refers to FALSE statements made to damage someone's reputation.
He lied when he didn't pay when he said he would.
He ripped us off.

He also said that he will contact a lawyer in the Philippines, and that another laywer he talked to asked him for proof of the attempt of payment. he said he has proof that he tried paying via Western Union. This man seems to have conveniently forgotten that he 'disappeared' (he and his assistant) when I asked for updates about my salary.

My concern is that, what do I do? I was told that he is soon flying back to the US. He informed me that he will issue a court order against me in the USA. is that even possible?
My former co-worker( whom he didn't pay too) said that he's probably bluffing but I am still concerned about my options should he decide to sue (if he can, that is).

Thank you in advance!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum