Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

harassed employee

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1harassed employee Empty harassed employee Tue May 03, 2016 9:18 pm

sheenajessica

Arresto Menor

I felt harassed in my workplace. It is very hostile. What should I do?

Here's what happened. I have a new manager, since  the previous one resigned. This new manager is not easy to approach, only her friends can talk to her right away. However, it seems that I am like a ghost. Whatever I pitch in, it is never acknowledged or recognized. It seemed like I don't exist. Any benefits or recognition = ZERO.

Today, I had an issue raised to the other managers regarding company policy because this case is not under her responsibility anymore. After several hours, she was roaming around or near to my cubicle and mocked my concern. Although she did not address or mention it was for me, the thought that she was mocking and made a big deal of it. In Bisaya, nagpadungog-dungog. I felt really bad and angry because I don't see any reason for her to do that. I didn't complain about her actions and this is not her concern.

What should I do?

2harassed employee Empty Re: harassed employee Wed May 04, 2016 5:29 am

kristaning

Arresto Menor

Hi,

I have an existing issue with my supervisor. We had a misunderstanding and tagged my statement as offensive, thus, served me an insubordination sanction.

I already filed a complaint to HR related to the event and it wasn't resolved. I didn't sign the disciplinary action since there was no agreement between my supervisor and I related to the allegation.

There are internal job posts that suits my qualification that prevents me to participate in relation to the active disciplinary action that was served.

I find the HR and my direct supervisor unfair. This prevent my career to grow.

Since HR is unapproachable, I would like to seek legal advise if this is a possible case. I have documents ready upon requests.

3harassed employee Empty Re: harassed employee Wed May 04, 2016 11:08 am

ador

Reclusion Perpetua

kristaning wrote:Hi,

I have an existing issue with my supervisor. We had a misunderstanding and tagged my statement as offensive, thus, served me an insubordination sanction.

I already filed a complaint to HR related to the event and it wasn't resolved. I didn't sign the disciplinary action since there was no agreement between my supervisor and I related to the allegation.
Just an advice, from an Uring Manggagawa like yourself..
You could first try to elevate the issue to your admin (grievance section) if you have one. This will give both you and your supervisor fair venue other than HR. Sadly, if you indeed made a remark that is deemed impolite or insubordinate, they probably will take your supervisor's word over yours, especially if the sup has been with the company for some time and is performing well.
Sometimes, office politics plays a part in career growth. You know, being liked and such.
So is making legal actions outside the company. Think what would be best for you and your immediate plans.
Best of luck.

4harassed employee Empty Re: harassed employee Wed May 04, 2016 11:18 am

ador

Reclusion Perpetua

Sheenajessica:This new manager is not easy to approach, only her friends can talk to her right away. However, it seems that I am like a ghost. Whatever I pitch in, it is never acknowledged or recognized. It seemed like I don't exist. Any benefits or recognition = ZERO.
What should I do?[/quote]

Try to get on your manager's good side. Not to make sipsip or suhol, just little things. Here's a tip: There's a technique na kung gusto mo mabreak ang ice between two people at work, ask for a very easy favor from them na kailangan din naman talaga nyang gawin in the first place. Yung tipong hindi nya pwedeng tanggihan pero super easy for him/her to do. Then, thank him/her genuinely, and give a little token of appreciation like pastilles or chocolate. It is important that YOU be FIRST TO ASK for the favor. Office politics still. Nasa Pinas tayo e.

Last edited by ador on Wed May 04, 2016 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : insert)

5harassed employee Empty kristaning Wed May 04, 2016 12:40 pm

kristaning1

Arresto Menor

True, it wouldv'e been great if we have such department, but HR have been biased. They scheduled a closed meeting between me, my supervisor and one HR, and sad to say, all the words that I'm saying are twisted and misrepresented in front of HR, with influence of my supervisor. All attempts to contradict her words is interpreted as disrespect, thus, justify this so called insubordination.

When my supervisor left the room, HR representative asked my some honest questions, and I did the same with the influence of my supervisor. I asked him if my words are disrespectful and provoking, in addition to the current situation, he said no. I told him if there is anything that I could do to avoid the disciplinary action, he said it's beyond him since I've signed the coaching log that relates to an explanation what happened during our conversation(cause of insubordination related to provoking superior). This is the bases of her allegation in provoking her "oh, there is a discussion, I thought it was a command," and that opinion can be interpreted in so many ways but justifying it as provoking or not is subjective, after all, that statement was captured from a discussion chat room within supervisor and colleagues.

Signing a coaching log was also part of deception she made stating a different purpose prior to signing. And I'm afraid that my career is compromised, and anything that I will say will be subjective, and can be misinterpreted as provoking whenever my supervisor feels like it is. And may eventually be a ground of termination for progressive insubordination.

Please advise. Thank you.

6harassed employee Empty Re: harassed employee Wed May 04, 2016 12:46 pm

kristaning1

Arresto Menor

HR had a focused group discussion with my colleagues against her. The discussion was composed of the whole team members (my colleagues) and another HR representative. It was brought to their attention how my supervisor acts improperly, thus backing up all my stories were all true. They took me and my supervisor out of the discussion. And yet no course of action was made. It seems like the focused group discussion was just part of HR intervention with no results.

I was forced to sign a disciplinary action but I refused and they appointed random personnels to sign on my behalf to make the memo official.

7harassed employee Empty Re: harassed employee Wed May 04, 2016 2:24 pm

sheenajessica

Arresto Menor

ador: Thank you for this. I have tried that before when she was still a supervisor. I asked her to do something that she can only do it for me. I thanked her and everything and of course she said "You're welcome..." However, still I can feel a huge wall in between. Personally, I don't want to make friends with her, but all I want is to have a conducive working environment.

Talking about offering food... I have tried that before but she refused politely. After a couple of weeks, when I was eating dinner with another employee, we ate something with a lot of spice and all (to be specific Balamban Lechon Manok - which has roasted lemon grass, leek onion and other seasoning). Of course, the aroma of the food really could reach like 100 - 200 meters. It smells really delicious. The manager was walking past us in our dining station and kept saying, "What is that smell...ewww... Let's open the door. I can't stand this." If you were eating while someone is doing that, definitely you'd feel bad and lose your appetite, right? This really started everything. Since I was very offended, I sent her an email saying, "Ms. X, just FYI the food smell you were ranting about was Balamban Liempo. I think it would be less rude to not complain about it. We ate it in our 30-minute break awhile ago. "

I know these our little things and seemed nonsense, but ranting and shouting in the hallways about something or a problem I raised does not give her the right to torment me. Made me feel bad for raising my concern. I know work could be stressful sometimes, but this behavior is really unacceptable. Even another employee told me or could get what she was ranting in the hallways that I was the one she was talking about. I felt cornered and bullied.

8harassed employee Empty Re: harassed employee Wed May 04, 2016 2:28 pm

sheenajessica

Arresto Menor

kristaning1: I'm terribly sorry to hear about what your going through.. We've had that problem here in the office before... Unfortunately, that employee decided to quit to my recollection.. It was a sad ordeal for her to endure actually.

9harassed employee Empty Re: harassed employee Wed May 04, 2016 2:55 pm

kristaning1

Arresto Menor

I really would like to suck it up and let by guns be by gones but opportunities are conveniently available, literally flooding in. But due to this unfortunate event, I have to endure a year-long agony with my supervisor and kept using my ideas and services without credits. I don't wanna be outside of the context but I also feel to justify why I have to stay in such unfair company. Though my ideas are plagiarized but my colleagues appreciate everything. It's as if I'm a threat to her position that she is compelled to do this coz I might replace her. All these ramblings are just my personal allegations with no bases, that's why it doesn't significantly count. Bottomline is, I am prevented to get promoted or try other major opportunities such as internal job posts for lateral transfers. Are there any legal advise to which I might have a chance alleviate my plea?

10harassed employee Empty Re: harassed employee Wed May 04, 2016 6:00 pm

HrDude

Reclusion Perpetua

A minor inconvenience is NOT harassment. You only have 2 options. You may either take it/'let it be' or you may resign. Its your choice.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum