Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Inherit property if parent dies?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Inherit property if parent dies? Empty Inherit property if parent dies? Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:04 pm

anime

Arresto Menor

Hello, my mom shares a property with her brothers and sisters. They are planning to sell it. If she dies before it's sold, will her kids inherit her share? Or does she have to state this in her will? Do the kids need to have special power of attorney? We are U.S. citizens living in the states.

2Inherit property if parent dies? Empty Re: Inherit property if parent dies? Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:11 pm

njaniola

Arresto Menor

You and our mom other children will inherit the property either through testate or intestate succession.You (and your mom other children)can inherit the property by right of representation in case your mother predeceased.There's no need for her kids to have a SPA because it works by operation of law.

Since you did not state what kind of property does your mother has with her brother/sister, let me presumed that it is a land. Under the Philippine Constitution, as a general rule, alien is prohibited to acquire land. However, this provision accepts some exceptions.One of these is by virtue of succession. Being US citizens (alien) will not matter since you are transferees of said land by virtue of succession.

3Inherit property if parent dies? Empty Re: Inherit property if parent dies? Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:33 pm

anime

Arresto Menor

Thank you for your advice. Yes, it is urban land and my aunt is living on the property.

Is there any circumstance where the legitimate children will not receive a share or is this a new law? Because we've been told in the past that the deceased's money from the sale will go to the government and not to the deceased's children.

4Inherit property if parent dies? Empty Re: Inherit property if parent dies? Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:25 pm

attyLLL

anime, you may be living in a state in the US which has different succession laws from those in the philippines. i understand that there are states in the US where any property not included in a will become property of the state.

There may be a conflict which set of laws will apply; that of your mom's residence of that where the property is located.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum