Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

BREACH OF CONTRACT_SCHOLARSHIP CONTRACT

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1BREACH OF CONTRACT_SCHOLARSHIP CONTRACT Empty BREACH OF CONTRACT_SCHOLARSHIP CONTRACT Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:48 am

giekuletz

Arresto Menor

Hi, I hope you can help me out regarding my problem.

I had been granted an scholarship with a corresponding contract. The contract states that if i will be able to pass may board exam, i will no longer pay the review expenses and the salary i have received during my review period, however i have to stay with the company for 4 years as LOCKED-In period. In the case that i violate the locked in period of 4 years, I am duty-bound to reimburse the total amount of expenses incurred by my company by the reason of the scholarship plus the payment of liquidated damages in the same amount as incurred by the company. I passed the board exam and currently I am in half way of my contract. Unfortunately, I want to resign from my work.

My questions are:
1. if ever I resign, what are the inclusions of the amount I have to pay?
2. is there any reason for them to sue me, if i violates the contract?
3. what are my strength regarding the case.

Thank you very much for your responses.

council

council
Reclusion Perpetua

giekuletz wrote:Hi, I hope you can help me out regarding my problem.

I had been granted an scholarship with a corresponding contract. The contract states that if i will be able to pass may board exam, i will no longer pay the review expenses and the salary i have received during my review period, however i have to stay with the company for 4 years as LOCKED-In period. In the case that i violate the locked in period of 4 years, I am duty-bound to reimburse the total amount of expenses incurred by my company by the reason of the scholarship plus the payment of liquidated damages in the same amount as incurred by the company. I passed the board exam and currently I am in half way of my contract. Unfortunately, I want to resign from my work.

My questions are:
1. if ever I resign, what are the inclusions of the amount I have to pay?
2. is there any reason for them to sue me, if i violates the contract?
3. what are my strength regarding the case.

Thank you very much for your responses.

1. Check the contract again.
2. Yes - breach of contract.
3. None. You can always say it's illegal for them to force you to continue working with them, but they may be entitled to damages.

http://www.councilviews.com

giekuletz

Arresto Menor

they can sue me breach of contract, although it is stipulated on the contract that i can leave the company, wherein i have to pay damages?, and what does liquidated damages mean?

council

council
Reclusion Perpetua

giekuletz wrote:they can sue me breach of contract, although it is stipulated on the contract that i can leave the company, wherein i have to pay damages?, and what does liquidated damages mean?

Liquidated damages (also referred to as liquidated and ascertained damages) are damages whose amount the parties designate during the formation of a contract for the injured party to collect as compensation upon a specific breach (e.g., late performance).

giekuletz

Arresto Menor

although the contract states that if ever I violate the lock in period, they can still sue me for breach of contract?

council

council
Reclusion Perpetua

giekuletz wrote:although the contract states that if ever I violate the lock in period, they can still sue me for breach of contract?

the clause is not illegal and you agreed to it.

giekuletz

Arresto Menor

if i pay the liquidated damages, is there any other reason for them to sue me?

council

council
Reclusion Perpetua

giekuletz wrote:if i pay the liquidated damages, is there any other reason for them to sue me?

They can always sue anytime unless probably if you come to an agreement and have a release and quitclaim.

Lunkan

Reclusion Perpetua

giekuletz wrote:if i pay the liquidated damages, is there any other reason for them to sue me?
The company have two types of costs concerning such:
/Education.
It's common companies demand the employee to stay a minimum period after the company gave the free education. I believe 4 years are uncommonly long, but you have agreed to it by signing the contract anyway.
/Replacement of you.
If you leave earlier than they expected by the contract, the company will get extra costs by that by they will need to replace you, and the effectivity will be less until a suiting new person is found, have got education and experience. Depending of business and how hard it is to do your work, but this can be MUCH more than a salary. (For instance it can be very much if an expensive mashine will be not used or less effective used for a while. Or if you have a possible "bottle neck" position, which make OTHER people can't do their work if the process is stucked in your work position.)

I don't know why you want to quit. There are some LEGAL reasons to break a contract, but only IF the company has broken the contract allready or misstreated you VERY much. "Don't like the work"" or other company have offered you higher salary are NOT legal reasons Smile

BUT NOTE! Even IF there is a legal reason for you to break the contract, the company can still sue you demanding very much money. Then it will depend of what the court decide. It's NOT only a question of if YOU find you have legal reason, it' a question of what you can PROVE and what the court DECIDE. Even if you can prove it, it isn't syre you will winn anyway. It can be of corect legal reason, the court can find your reason not big enough. Or the court can decide wrong by being bribed, friend with your opponent or just stupid Smile Sometimes courts don't know or understand the law even if one part in the case tell them which law the claim is bases on and how to interprete it...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum