Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parents not legally separated, Mother married in the US. Inheritance?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

iansheng

Arresto Menor

My parents had a falling out when I was still in grade 2. Although they did not file for legal separation, my mother left us and went abroad and from there started a family of her own in the US. That was around 20 years ago and they haven't made contact at all since a month ago, albeit briefly.

My main question is, when my father dies, is my mother still entitled to inherit from my father? What legal issues will I expect in the near future?

mimsy

Reclusion Temporal

unfortunately yes, your mother is entitled half of the property and even half of what you will get, unless your father do something about it while he is still around...

iansheng

Arresto Menor

Oh, I see. Thank you.

Looks like I'm going to have to live with it. Does that also mean I'm entitled to an inheritance from her even if she has a new family now?

Also, she remarried in the US without annulling her marriage here in the Philippines, does that have any legal ramifications here in the Philippines or even in the US?

AWV

AWV
Reclusion Perpetua

Yes! As legal child you also have rights to inheritance from your mother in the Philippines and in the US.
Her marriage in United States is out of Philippines jurisdictions. So under the Philippine law she did not commit bigamy but in the US yes! But only your father can sue her IF your father is an obedient citizen and has no criminal records.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum