Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFW / Seaman need advice

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1OFW / Seaman need advice Empty OFW / Seaman need advice Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:04 pm

Roger Patactacan

Arresto Menor

Dear Sir,
I am a seaman directly hired by Global Marine Care with office address at Ft. Lauderdale. Florida USA. I was employed by this company since 2004
I am a travelling Galley (kitchen) equipment service technician. My company has a Service contract with various Cruise line sailing through US and European ports to service the ships main dishwashing units and other galley equipments. We supply equipment spare parts to the Cruise lines as well.
In compliance with POEA, Global Marine care is a legitimate employer as certified and authenticated by the POLO office at the Philippine Embassy in Washington DC. and every time I am on vacation as well as every renewal of my contact. My travel and employment documents were processed at POEA prior to the issuance of the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) before leaving the country.
July 2012, I reported to POEA to process my travel documents for the continuation of my contract which will expire by Dec 2012. I have a return flight to join ship by Aug 13 as well as all Guarantee letters by my employer needed to renew my expired Canadian and Schengen visa as soon as I get the OEC from them.
Now, POEA didn’t want to process my employment documents as name hire seaman and was advised to inform my employer to hire a manning agent because I travelled ship to ship as well as it is also for my own protection.
Considering the fact that my employer is providing me all expenses paid round trip travel and accommodation. A valid Multinational Worldwide travel and health insurance value of 50.000 USD, I am also a voluntary contributing SSS member as well as I have an active personal Life insurance with Phil Am Life is suffice to protect myself and my family.
I am 54 years old, and have 22 years working experience as seaman and that includes my 8 years of continuous working with Global Marine Care. As travelling technician.
My Questions are,
Giving all the fact above is there any POEA provisions or any labor laws that prohibit me of continuing my overseas employment after 8 years by not using any local Manning agency?
If, my employer will not consider hiring me anymore due to extra paper works and other formalities that they will enter with local manning agency just to hire one Filipino.
At my present age, does POEA can assist me in getting a new overseas employment if I lost this one.
Thank you very much for any suggestions or legal advice that you can provide me and I will highly appreciate it.
My Best Regards,
Rogelio Patactacan

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum