Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

scam victim

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1scam victim Empty scam victim Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:02 am

khel04

Arresto Menor

I had a classmate in high school named Freddierick E. and long time I haven't seen him nor chat with him. With facebook we got acquainted again, we had some little chat and posted some messages that he is inviting me to his thanksgiving party in Mandarin Hotel. Along the conversation, I asked him if he could help me also to find job in Canada. And he replied to it positively. He started calling me here in Kuwait every now and then. At first, it's just a simple hi-hello conversation. Then after, he told me that I'll be needing some documents that need to be sent in the Embassy. Also, he said that he won in the lottery and he had a good life now the reason why he is holding a thanksgiving party. I was very thankful and excited the time that he told that he will help me and never even had a strand of doubt with him. In short, I was hooked with his trap. He also told me that he will transfer an amount of $50,000 that I could use to start a little business in Canada and for all the expenses that I'll be needing to process my documents. One morning he called me and said that transfer is done but the bank here in Kuwait needs some documents to prove that I am the one really receiving the transfer. He asked me to make a potential transaction so that the bank will not suspect me for any money laundering especially that I am a Filipino and it is a huge amount. He told me to make the best transaction I could have to Ms. Theresa B. (to be transferred in western union) then after it will be okay as a proof to the bank. I followed his instruction and I transferred a total of $1200 in two different transactions in two different branch. The saddest part is after I transferred the said amount still I got no updates with what he said he transferred in my account. I started to question him and keep denying to myself that it's a scam since he is a good friend during high school. Unfortunately, all doubts and fears that I have is true. IT'S a SCAM. Now, I can't contact his number and the third party he used.
In connection, can I file an estafa case with him in Philippines even I'm here abroad? I saved some of the conversations we had in Facebook and YM and even the text messages we had. Also, I have with me the proof of transferred I made in Western but it's with Theresa's name. Can i request in the Bureau of Immigration a hold departure order for him even I still not filed a case yet? What is the chances that I could win this case if ever I sue him for estafa?
Your replies and advises would be a great help for me to be relieved. At least i would know if I have to continue searching for him to bring him behind bars or just better admit that I was fooled by someone like him.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by attyLLL on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed last names)

2scam victim Empty Re: scam victim Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:24 pm

attyLLL

yes, you can file an estafa case against him while you are abroad, however, you will need assistance from someone here. you will have to prepare a complaint-affidavit there, then notarize it in the Philippine consulate or embassy. your lawyer or other person can file it here in the prosecutor's office.

However, you will need his address here in the Philippines if the case is to prosper. my guess is that he will deny that he was the one you were talking to.

in my experience with internet cases, the toughest part is to prove that the accused is that person who committed the crime. good evidence is proof of a unique IP address, recording of video chat.

you can try to ask western union if they kept copies of the IDs and claim forms when the funds were withdrawn. hopefully, they were not smart enough to use fake names and addresses.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum