Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Collection of Judgment

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Collection of Judgment Empty Collection of Judgment Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:38 am

nancyr

Arresto Menor

Hi!

I am seriously hoping someone out there can help me collect on a judgment rendered in 1997 and renewed in 2007! Very Happy

In July of 1996, we rented our house in Southern California (through a real estate office to a screened tenant), and the tenant was late with every rent payment after the first month. After months of trying to work with the tenant, we followed with eviction proceedings, and two months before the end of the lease, the tenant skipped out in the middle of the night with our major appliances! Sad

He did not show up at court for the judgment hearing, and the court found in our favor! Smile

Little did we know that he would "disappear" completely. We went through the process of trying to attach his wages, but his employer (and friend, who also has a number of unpaid judgments to his record) told the sheriff that the guy was "no longer employed" with his company.

We attempted for three years through a credit bureau to find him, but from that time to present, he has no record of using any credit cards.

After waiting and hoping he might surface (thinking we'd given up the search), we began to search for him in earnest. We have his date of birth, Social Security Number, and drivers' license number from 1997, but none of this information has helped us locate him. Public records that we've searched online and at the LA County Recorder's Office and Assessor's Office have turned up nothing except that his SSN# is still "active" (meaning, he's not dead) and that his remaining debt on record is our judgment.

Information we've been able to learn from others in a similar strait have indicated that without the aid of a collection agency or private investigator, we're probably not going to have much luck finding this man. In addition, we've been informed that even if we knew where he was, it might be impossible to collect on the judgment if he has no traceable or attachable assets. We've learned that people who skip out know how to manage without credit or banks by either dealing in cash only or have stashed their assets out of the country. According to the websites and message responders, only 20-25% of judgments are EVER collected! Twisted Evil

My questions are these:
1. How do we find this guy?
2. What's the projected cost of finding him?
3. Once we find him, how do we get him to pay up?
4. Can and will law enforcement be applied? If so, how can we invoke the law?
5. Is it worth the time and effort to collect on a $10K+ judgment? Mad

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated!

Thank you!
:)nancyr

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum