Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Starting a business within a few weeks

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Starting a business within a few weeks Empty Starting a business within a few weeks Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:45 am

business101

Arresto Menor

I am starting a business within a few weeks. It will be under my name only. It's a sole proprietorship.

My wife will work for me as an account executive as I can see her potential in sales.

However, the nature of my business is the same line as her current employer.

I understand that it is illegal for any employee to start a business in the same line as their employer because according to law, 2 years must elapse in order for the employee to start the same line.

But, since I am the sole owner not my wife and she will be just a regular employee, my question is, would there be any legal hassle to this?

Thanks in advance!

2Starting a business within a few weeks Empty Re: Starting a business within a few weeks Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:36 pm

lawddesign

lawyer

When you mentioned the two year interim period, are you referring to the employment contract of your wife?

There is no law requiring a two year interim period to start a business similar to one's employer.

business101

Arresto Menor

lawddesign wrote:When you mentioned the two year interim period, are you referring to the employment contract of your wife?

There is no law requiring a two year interim period to start a business similar to one's employer.

Thanks for replying.

It's not the employment contract. She will resign to join my company. I'm just worried that her former employer will go after her legally because I think you need 2 years before you can engage in the same line of business due to some trade secret protection, etc.

Since she is my wife, I'm not sure whether she's also automatically an owner even though the company is under my name. If that is automatic due to conjugal property, then she is as good as an owner as well.

lawddesign

lawyer

The sole proprietorship by its very title means that the business is owned by an individual.For the purpose of commercial transaction, it only pertains to you.

The issue on conjugal ownership with your wife arises only in case of liquidation of the conjugal assets which happens only in case of disposition of assets of either spouse, death of either spouse, annulment of marriage.

attyLLL

you are referring to a non-compete clause. there is no obligation unless it's included in the employment contract.

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

6Starting a business within a few weeks Empty Re: Starting a business within a few weeks Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:32 pm

business101

Arresto Menor

Thank you so much for your advices - lawdesign and attyLLL.

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum