Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Inheritance query

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Inheritance query Empty Inheritance query Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:47 am

Taki

Arresto Menor

My brother died about 2yrs ago. He was married in 1979 but got separated (not legally)only after about a year, he does not have a child with his legal wife. He started another family in 1982 and had 3 children. There were no attempt to nuliffy or to annul his first marriage.

We ( me, my sister and mother) are now in the process of dividing the property left by our father who died 6 yrs ago.

My question is, legally who among the 2 families of my brother has the right to his share from the property left by my father? His legal wife whose whereabouts is unknown and we have not seen since she and my brother seperated 30 years ago or the illegitimate family?

We are planning not to include my brother's common law wife's family because of what they did to my old mother right after my brother died, but we want to know if we have legal grounds to back it up.

Thanks in advance!

2Inheritance query Empty Re: Inheritance query Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:35 pm

attyLLL

who died first, your father or brother?

https://www.facebook.com/BPOEmployeeAdvocate/

3Inheritance query Empty Re: Inheritance query Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:09 pm

Taki

Arresto Menor

Hi atty,

Re your question on who died first. My dad died first. My dad died in 2004 and my brother died in 2008.

Thanks

4Inheritance query Empty Re: Inheritance query Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:10 pm

attyLLL

when your father died, he passed his property to his heirs including your brother. he owned a share of the father's property.

because it is inherited property, it is not considered a conjugal asset, but when he died, his legal heirs, namely his wife and illegitimate children inherited his property. i'm afraid you don't have legal basis to exclude them.

if you do, they will have to file a petition to rescind whatever distribution without them.

5Inheritance query Empty Re: Inheritance query Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:53 am

Taki

Arresto Menor

Oh i see. Pardon my ignorance, but can't we apply the "iron barrier rule"? I thought, illegitimate children cannot inherit from their unmarried titas and titos, lolos and lolas?

Thanks agian.

6Inheritance query Empty Re: Inheritance query Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:21 am

attyLLL

that is why i asked who died first. your brother died as a part owner of the property hence, his heirs have the right to inherit from him.

if your brother died first, the wife and illegitimate children would not be allowed to represent him in inheriting from your father.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum