Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Foreign divorce recognized in Philippines

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Foreign divorce recognized in Philippines Empty Foreign divorce recognized in Philippines Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:17 am

Syanis`

Arresto Menor

I'm an American married in the Philippines a number of years back to a Filipina (we never left the Philippines so she remained). We seperated and I returned home to the US and got a divorce. Now I'm back in the Philippines looking to remarry.

Now I have a divorce from back home in the US. I'm told it has to be recognized as legal by a Philippine court.

Now my questions are can it be any court in the Philippines where I currently reside or does it have to be in Manila or Cebu? How much on average does it cost to have it done? How much does it cost to have it done? Is there any cheaper or quicker way for it to be done (assuming expensive and/or long process)? What difficulties or proofs would I need as common logic (which doesn't exist in Philippine law) would dictate simply showing a certified copy of the divorce along with proof of home residency would suffice.

Further questions. Would I be able to remarry in the Philippines with simply giving a copy of the divorce to the embassy and just deal with if ever arose down the road other legal complications such as if ex tried showing up claiming bigamy and then have to deal with recognition of the divorce? Would an alternative be that the next marriage to a Filipino married overseas wedding such as traveling to HK or Thailand to get married as example even though would be returning to the Philippines afterwards?

Looking simply for the cheapest and easiest route so can remarry again to a Filipina preferably NOT fiancee visa to the US route as we wish to remain in the Philippines for the next few years at least.

Thanks for any help

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum