Free Legal Advice Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Free Legal Advice Philippines

Disclaimer: This web site is designed for general information only and does not create attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for legal advice regarding their individual legal issues.

I forgot my password

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can a person actually LEGALLY BE a witness to their own contract?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

juzme123

Arresto Menor

Hi, I have an interesting situation here.

In the Philippines, my mother in law was with me physically during a residential leasing contract transaction.

On the first page of the contract where there's a place to write IN the identity of the lessor, BOTH of our names ARE listed as lessees THERE.

BUT...on the 4th and final page, which is the page where the notarial seal appears and where the signatures with attached TITLES are found, under the LESSEE title only my name and signature appears. And under the WITNESS title, only my mother in law's name appears.

My mother in law's signature appears on the SIDE of every page, but in all of those signatures, it doesn't identify whether she is lessee, witness or both by way of THOSE signatures.

My question therefore IS, what actually IS my mother in law, LEGALLY, on this contract? Is she co-lessee as the first page might suggest. Or is she witness as the 4th page might more strongly suggest, I think. Or is she both?

I don't understand how she can really be a co-lessee because, follow the logic here, a co-lessee is a PARTY to a contract, right, but a witness is supposed to be a neutral observer or a NON-party to the contract, right? So how could you be both? How can you be WITNESS to your OWN co-lessee contract?

It really is paradoxical. Has anyone ever encountered anything like this before?

The girl that we did the transaction with is just a "I'll get the coffee" type of secretary and it appears that she did a great job of muddying the water here.

Can anybody help clarify matters? Any help would be greatly appreciated! God bless! Wink

2Can a person actually LEGALLY BE a witness to their own contract? Empty No replies yet? Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:29 am

juzme123

Arresto Menor

No replies yet? Apparently, this is a tough question! Is anybody out there up to a mental challenge? lol  Very Happy 

ibonidarna

ibonidarna
Reclusion Perpetua

Your mother-in-law is just a witness.
The reason why the parties are supposed to sign on all of the pages of the document is to ensure that there can be no insertion/replacement of pages where there are terms and conditions not agreed upon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum